Expanded polystyrene (EPS) is made from a lightweight, yet solid, cellular plastic material that uses small hollow spherical balls. The closed cellular construction of EPS is what gives it its remarkable characteristics. Expanded polystyrene sheets can be used in a variety of ways in both commercial and domestic settings. But, they are most commonly used for insulation because of their excellent mechanical and thermal insulation properties. Plus, they offer cost-effective insulation for structural panels and concrete forms, making them perfect for insulating ceilings, walls, sheds, roofs, floors, and even garage doors. EPS is a dependable product that meets all relevant building codes.
Uses of EPS
The best polystyrene sheets Brisbane has to offer can be used in many ways. Here are just some more applications of EPS.
Building and construction
The strength, durability, versatility, and lightweight nature of EPS make it a popular building product. Additionally, it is an inert material, meaning it does not provide any nutritional benefits to pests. So, it does not attract termites or rats. Aside from being used to insulate roofs, walls, and floors, expanded polystyrene sheets are also used as facades for both commercial and domestic buildings. They can also be used as a lightweight fill in railway and road construction and floatation material in building marinas and pontoons.
Polystyrene foam is also widely used in packaging products. Its effective absorbing properties make it perfect for storing and transporting fragile items such as chemicals, electronic equipment, pharmaceutical products, and wine. It can also be used for packaging food, such as fruits, seafood, and vegetables, because of its moisture-resistant and thermal insulation properties.
EPS is also a popular and excellent solution for the use of surfboards and gliders, as well as model planes, because of its positive strength to weight ratio.
The strength and shock-absorbency features of EPS are protective qualities that make it perfect for manufacturing cycling helmets and children’s car seats where safety is paramount. It also has horticulture applications as seedling trays and as a soil conditioner to assist soil aeration.
Advantages of using EPS
Some of the advantages of expanded polystyrene sheets include:
- Thermal insulation. The closed-cell structure of EPS consists of 98% air, which is responsible for its low thermal conductivity.
- Durability. The durable and rot-proof properties of EPS make it an effective insulant that can last for the life of the building.
- Environmental safety. Fungus, bacteria, and other pests do not thrive on EPS as it provides zero nutritional benefits to them. It is also non-toxic and inert, making it an ideal material for packaging food products.
- Lightweight. EPS is one of the lightest packaging material available because it is made of 98% air.
- Moisture resistance. EPS is highly resistant to moisture because of its non-hygroscopic nature.
EPS is an amazing insulation material, but it can also be used in many different ways. Did you know that you can also use it as a cake dummy? Now, if you need the best expanded polystyrene sheets Ipswich has to offer as a material for insulating your home, a packaging aid or filling, or even a cake dummy, Koolfoam has just what you need.